HEC Liège strives for academic excellence in management and economic studies. In particular, it aims to become a recognized player in the production and transfer of knowledge. In line with the school’s mission, academic excellence at HEC Liège is measured through the impact of its research on its national and international scientific community, on its economic and social environment, and on its undergraduate, postgraduate and PhD students.
Scientific research at HEC Liège is currently conducted within the organizational unit "HEC Research". This unit includes more than 100 FTE researchers (faculty, senior and junior scientists) who are active in various fields of economics and management science.
HEC Research has defined four strategic objectives to target excellence in research:
- Objective 1. To deliver high-quality research results.
- Objective 2. To develop an international reputation for the quality of its research.
- Objective 3. To be internationally recognized for its economic and societal impact.
- Objective 4. To train and educate qualified and productive scientists
The unit is subdivided into "7+1" sub-units associated with strategic research fields where the school has significant experience and a critical mass of researchers, publications, teaching and corporate collaborations, namely
- Asset and Risk Management (ARM);
- Changing Workplace and Strategic Human Resource Management (HRM);
- Economic Analysis and Policy (ECON);
- Marketing and Service Innovation (MSI),
- Social Enterprise and Business Ethics (SEBE);
- Supply Chain Management and Business Analytics (SCM);
- Sustainable Performance: Tax, Audit and Accounting (SUSP);
- as well as an 8th sub-unit that hosts some emerging fields of research.
As part of its strategy, HEC Research aims to foster active interdisciplinary collaborations around three transversal themes – sustainability, digital transformation and entrepreneurship – in order to generate transformative research with high impact on HEC’s strategic research fields and with a concrete influence on the socio-economic environment of the school.
Since 2017, three research domains are nominated as expert fields if they have achieved significant progress at the level of three research KPIs. This nomination intends to recognize their efforts towards excellence. The expert fields are determined every two years in the following three categories:
- International quality research: which is granted to the domain with the highest number of A+ and A articles in peer reviewed journals from the HEC Liege Academic Journal Guide.
- International recognition: which goes to the research field whose research production has been the most cited ( by measuring the H-index of the team)
- Contract-based research: which recognizes the research field with the highest amount of externally funded research staff.
The top three research areas 2019-2020 (based on 2017-2018 outputs) are:
- “Economic Analysis and Policy” for International Quality research.
- "Supply Chain Management and Business Analytics” for the international recognition.
- "Changing workplace & strategic HRM" for contract-based research.
Further information of the expert fields can be found in our Annual Research Report
We kindly ask you to send the questions you might have relative to the management and/or organization of research at HEC to the address > firstname.lastname@example.org